We are a Special School for students aged 15-18 with mild intellectual disability.
Please read the school’s enrolment policy on our website to check the enrolment eligibility requirements before applying. Montague School is a single-mode Intellectual Disability school with specific IQ requirements and should not be considered an option for students who are or can be enrolled in a mainstream-traditional school.
Families who enrol at Montague School do so knowing that their child is capable of great things, with the awareness that they would benefit from a different approach to their education. Students entering Montague School join a community of true peers, something which can be transformative to their learning experience and academic success.
Our school population is modest compared to other schools, so we can provide individual and targeted attention to the unique needs of each student. Our experienced and professional staff provide a safe, caring and inspiring learning environment in which all students can develop academically, socially and emotionally. We know each student well enough to be able to set ambitious, realistic targets and put in place a personalised education plan that is right for them.
School tours are only available on Friday each week. There are 4 tour group booking times available. You can book a tour online or contact the school administration office to register for a tour. Tours take approximately 30 minutes and are limited to 2 groups per tour.
Tour 1 - 10:00 am to 10:30am
Tour 2 - 10:45am to 11:15am
Tour 3 - 11:30am to 12:00pm
Tour 4 - 12:15pm to 12:45pm
If you believe Montague School is the right school for your child, please complete the online Expression of Interest form.
Prospective students, their parents/carers and any support personnel will be invited to attend an interview with the school's enrolment panel (the interview criteria are listed in school's Enrolment Policy).
The enrolment panel consists of the following staff specialists:
- Senior teacher
- Education Support Coordinator
- School Wellbeing Outreach Nurse
The following documents are required for the interview:
1. Birth Certificate (or Passport)
2. Health Care Card/Pension Card (if applicable)
3. Health Action Plans (if applicable)
4. Immunisation History Statement
5. Evidence of disability as described in the school Enrolment Policy
6. NDIS documents (if applicable)
7. Australian residency and other visa documentation (if applicable)
8. Court Orders or care arrangement documents (if applicable)
9. Previous school reports
10. Previous Individual Education Plan (IEP)
11. Previous school support plans (attendance, learning support, behaviour).
Complete an Enrolment Pack and submit it to the school with the required documentation and supporting information that confirms your child meets the enrolment criteria.
Your enrolment submission will be assessed by the school to confirm your child meets the enrolment eligibility criteria.
The enrolment criteria for Montague School have been specified and approved by the Regional Director, Southeast Victoria Region (as the Minister’s delegate) under section 2.2.16(b) of the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic).
Once the offer has been accepted, you are officially part of our school community. You will receive a start date for your orientation.
Montague School should not be considered an option for students who are or can be enrolled in a mainstream-traditional school.
Applications from students aged 15 to 18 who do not meet the above criteria may be considered on a case-by-case basis by the school principal through a non-standard enrolment process.
- Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 (Vic)
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cth)
- Disability Standards for Education 2005 (Cth)
- Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic)
- Education and Training Reform Regulations 2017 (Vic)
- Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic)
- Family Law Act 1975 (Cth)
- Health Records Act 2001 (Vic)
- Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic)
- Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic)
- Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2019 (Vic)
For further information on Special Schools enrolment, please visit the Department of Education and Training website: https://www2.education.vic.gov.au/pal/enrolment/guidance/enrolment-specialist-schools