Personal Development Skills
The Personal Development Skills units have been developed to recognise learning, not recognised within other qualifications, that is valued within the community and that develops the skills, knowledge and attitudes identified in this strand.
The Personal Development Skills units are designed to develop:
• environmental awareness
• commitment to, and achievement of, personal goals
• civil and civic responsibility
• improved health and physical wellbeing.
Learning programs selected and developed for young people for VCAL units in the Personal Development Skills Strand should be consistent with youth development principles that include:
• valuing and engaging the contribution of young people
• building competence and resilience in individuals including minimising risk factors and enhance the promotion of protective behaviours for young people
• civil and civic participation and the promotion of active citizenship
• partnership approaches to program planning and delivery that link young people with the broader community and its members
• voluntary commitment to the program.